The Milwaukee Nerd Dinner is happening tomorrow (Tuesday) night at 6PM at Champp's.  Sign up and get details here. I've only made it to one of these, but it was a lot of fun.  It's not an "official" WI .NET Users Group event, but it's a great chance to get to meet some of the UG members in a casual, relaxed, fun (albeit sometimes noisy) setting. I'm planning to attend and am looking forward to meeting some new people. BTW, thanks to Dan for picking this up while Matt is busy at his ... [More]
Categories: Community | Professional

Aug 200522

Code Generator 1.1

If you've read the blog for a while, you might have seen my previous posts about a code generator I wrote. As I've used it for a couple months, I've decided that I have a lot (LOT) of changes I want to make to it.  I'm not quite a genius yet (like all of the people at the Q# launch), but I've learned a ton since I first started writing this. However, as things go, I haven't had time to really re-engineer it.  It's hard to take time to fix something that works, even though it doe... [More]
Categories: Development | Personal | Community | Technology | Software Projects | Tools | Professional

Aug 200522

More on Q#

You know, I was re-reading my last post, and I see that I missed something important.  I meant to mention it there, but got distracted in the middle of the post and forgot when I came back.  (Typical...) I really need to thank Kelly ("Her Royal Highness of the Order of the Geek") for all her hard work.  All I did was clean up the yard, set up the chairs, and burn the burgers.  She took care of all of the other stuff, like cleaning the house, preparing the toppings and s... [More]
Categories: Personal | Community | Fun | Professional

Aug 200521

Q#

Yesterday was a good day.  The weather was really nice.  We had a few friends over for a cookout.  Actually, there were about 25 people (including kids).  I decided a few months ago to have a party sometime this summer and invite some of my geek friends. So yesterday was Q# 1.0 (formerly known as BBQ.NET).  I grilled 18 burgers and a dozen brats.  (Actually, as Russ can attest, the grill was basically a bonfire there for a while -- lots of grease in the burg... [More]
Categories: Personal | Community | Fun | Professional

Aug 200517

TechEd DVDs

I got my Tech·Ed DVDs today.  It includes seven discs: 4 of presentation slide decks and audio IT Showcase (lots of case studies, etc.) SQL Server 2005 Readiness Kit Microsoft Office System Tips & Tricks Plus Plus it has the keynotes and all of the manuals for the Hands On Labs. I've got a lot of learning to do...
Categories: Development | Technology | TechEd | Professional
So the Google AdSense thing wasn't working for me, and I'm not referring to the fact that I only made 60 cents.  OK, so maybe it has a little to do with that, but the real reason is that the ads were totally out of context.  99% of the ads that were displayed were about "blog".  The other 1% was about tsunami relief. Both, I'm sure, are fine topics, but are not relevant to my content like they "were supposed to be".  I e-mailed Google about this a few times to find out what ... [More]
Categories: Personal | Community | Links | Technology | Community Server | Professional
Have you seen the new app that casey (or "the lower cased one", as OS likes to call him) wrote?  Remember the old wooden labyrinth game?  The one where you had to twist the knobs to tilt the deck so the little silver ball would roll through the maze without falling in the holes? He wrote that for the TabletPC (in C# with managed Direct3D).  But it's not just a game controlled by mouse or keyboard (although you can use the mouse).  The meat of the story is that the "board" is... [More]
Categories: Development | Personal | Community | Links | Fun | Technology | Professional
I found this on Coding Horror today while browsing.  Thankfully, MS has a wizard to recommend relevant counters, because "using perfmon is like trying to sip from a fire hose".  There's a "helpful" image in the post showing a graph of the MS recommended counters.  That makes it so much easier...
Categories: Development | Technology | Professional

Aug 200510

My Other News

Last week, I mentioned some news and said that I would have more this week.  As promised... It's no secret that Brian Tinkler has joined Microsoft.  He started on Monday (the same day I started my new job).  He also has taken on a new role as the VP of Marketing for INETA.  Because of all of his extra responsibilities, he has decided to step down from his role as president of the WI .NET Users Group.  As of last week, I am now the president of the UG.  It was annou... [More]
Categories: Personal | Community | UG | Professional

Aug 200505

Where Do They Sit?

Here is an interesting story from Seth Godin's site. Who are your customers talking to? Where do they sit?
Categories: Blogosphere | Professional